Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Day 20 – June 8 Discovering Idaho



The day began just south of Boise where I’d camped at Bruneau Dunes State Park. I made a quick trip to the Boise REI and returned my backup sleeping pad (I’m going to go to Menards and buy just a very cheap, light-weight piece of foam I can cut to fit just my torso and easily carry). I used the return money to buy a few maps of Idaho – I had nothing as I’d not planned on including it on my trip.

The woman at REI showed me a really great map that showed all the campgrounds – including the free ones – and a map of the hiking trails around the Sawtooth Mountains. She suggested I hike and camp around there, so I took her advice. I was really glad I did.

I spent the afternoon driving up and over to the Sawtooth Recreation Area, and what a wonderful drive it was. I went up and then down a winding mountain road and then across the Ponderosa Scenic Highway. When I first glimpsed the Sawtooth Mountains, I couldn’t believe how stunning they are. I decided I would choose a campground just past the small town of Stanley so I’d be not too far from Sun Valley – I wanted to make a visit down there to check it out. 

The first campground I came to was about two miles outside Stanley, it was free, and it was on the Salmon River. And I had cell service. I quickly set up camp and then headed back to town to use the internet and treat myself to a light dinner. I found a little place – Papa Bruneau’s – that had both wireless and excellent, inexpensive pizza. I sat outside, enjoying the late afternoon air, and relaxed into the evening.

I wasn’t sure where to hike the next day, but I decided to not stress about it. I sometimes push myself a little too hard I think, and I decided to give myself a little break. I’ll be hiking 21 plus days in a row in a few weeks – I can relax a little on this trip I decided.

Back at the campsite, I wrote some and enjoyed the fire before turning in. Not a terribly productive day, but a nice, relaxing, one.


2 comments: