Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Day 2 – May 21 Miles to Go Before I Sleep





Most of today was spent on the road, putting miles behind me. Not that I’m complaining – I love to drive and I love to look at beautiful scenery. So how could the day not be wonderful? And it was. Wonderful.

Love it when I realize the clouds at the horizon are actually mountains
Forgetting to turn off my alarm the night before, I awoke to its lovely noise at 6 a.m. But, eager to start the day, I had no regrets about the omission.  I had woken up a few times during the night, and I was surprised that I wasn’t more comfortable on my new, high-dollar inflatable sleeping pad. As I inspected it this morning, I realized it was about flat. No wonder it was uncomfortable – it apparently came with a leak.  I knew I was going to stop at REI in Denver today, so I realized how fortuitous it was that it happened now and not in the middle of the Sierras.

Even with the less-than-optimum sleeping situation, I was rested and ready for the day. I realize getting up early is not a problem when I’m outside, doing what I love most. Unlike at home, I almost never choose to lie there, putting off the inevitable. Instead I bound up, quickly breaking camp and leaning forward, into the day and all it promises.

REI, Denver
I had about a half-day drive into Denver, and was amazed at the REI store there. It was huge and beautiful – it was in an old manufacturing plant of sorts, with brick walls and iron fixtures still exposed and creating the perfect backdrop for outdoor gear. And this is not a plug for the store, but I was impressed, once again, at their generous return policy. I had a solar charger I bought last summer that was too heavy and wasn’t working quite right. I was missing some of the hookups that came with it and it was a little beat up, but I thought I’d give their policy a try. Sure enough, they looked up my purchase date and gave me store credit for it along with the sleeping pad.  I decided to buy a different pad – one that was a little less spendy and was also on sale – and instead of getting another solar charger, I used the credit to buy some new ultra-lightweight sandals I’d been eying. And I even have a few dollars left for any other incidentals I need from there.
Lots of snow still at the higher elevations. 

After the leisurely shopping trip, I headed back west, intending to make it to Grand Junction or nearby. I looked at the map and saw a state park just east of there, and headed for it. It’s a lovely small park along the Colorado River. They only have five tent camping spots, so I have a few neighbors fairly close, but it’s pretty quiet and it’s clean with good facilities. I settled in, built my fire and cooked a burger over the open flames. 

James M. Robb - Colorado River State Park
While I was sitting writing this, my tent neighbor to my right, whom I had noticed earlier when he rode in on his bike, came over to introduce himself. It’s about three hours later, and he just left. He is a nice guy from Missouri on his way to Salt Lake City to see his son graduate.  We talked and talked, and there was a comfortable connection between us. At one point he moved from the picnic table where he’d been sitting, sat down in front of my chair, and leaned back against my legs. He didn’t say anything, and I didn’t say anything – we just continued talking as if it were the most natural thing in the world. And it felt that way, his back against me, the intimacy of the fire, the stars and the almost full moon lighting the stage of our connection. Finally, he stood and stretched, leaned down and kissed me, said goodnight, and went “home” to his tent.  I’m going in mine shortly, after the last few embers in the fire ring die. In another life, we might have gone to the same tent – we even discussed the possibility - but he’s on his path and I’m on mine, so we figured it best to say goodnight with that light, simple kiss.

There’s so much promise out here in the world, just waiting to be discovered. Surprises are around every corner, if we keep our eyes open. And I plan to spend this summer with my eyes wide open, welcoming each experience as it comes in to my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment