Monday, July 23, 2012

Day 5, July 23: Glacier National Park


Day 5, July 23: Glacier National Park

The day began on a little shaky ground. I stopped to get coffee as I began the day, and I spilled it all over the console. So I spent the first 30 minutes of my day cleaning things up. Then I headed north to Glacier, and it didn’t take long to feel the power of the scenery I passed. There really is nothing quite like northern Montana. The clarity of the lakes and the purity of the air, ringed by these towering mountains, are really amazing. If there weren’t so much snow here in the winter, I’d seriously consider moving up here.

I only had about a two-hour drive to Glacier, and as I came within 10 miles of it, the magic of the place overtook me. I have never experienced the feeling I get when I’m here.  It leaves me somewhat speechless.

I arrived at my campsite a few minutes early, which gave me time to visit with this very sweet (and rather hot) ranger about hiking trails. He made some suggestions, and we talked about other places we’d hiked and books we’d read. What a wonderful young man he was. He suggested I take this afternoon to hike to Apgar Lookout, so I followed his advice.




The hike was 3.6 miles in and then back, so it was a total of 7.2 miles. It also climbed about 2000 ft. in that 3.6 miles. The hike back was, needless to say, much easier and quicker.  But the view was astounding and well worth the effort of the climb. Lake McDonald, which I could see from the lookout, ringed with snow-topped mountains, was the brightest blue imaginable. Sitting there, with a few other couples who had made the hike, felt like I was at the top of the world.  (I know, I know, Barbara Anne – it’s not Everest!)

The view of Lake McDonald was breathtaking
I plan on hiking to Grinnell Glacier tomorrow morning. I’ve been told it’s a wonderful hike, but to be sure to take my bear spray. Repeatedly told to take the bear spray, as that is an area rife with grizzly bears. And one ranger, who when I said I had bear spray and bear bells, snorted and said, “You know what we call bear bells? Dinner bells.” Certainly inspires confidence in my preventative measures. They say to clap and holler when you come to a blind corner, so I intend to do just that. And I’m still wearing my bear bells.

Well, it’s an early morning tomorrow – I have a two and a half hour drive to the trail head. But that drive is the “Going to the Sun Road” and it’s a lovely drive. And that’s an understatement, but I’m getting tired of using all these superlatives and abstract adjectives – fabulous, wonderful, breathtaking, etc. It’s just hard not to here . . . Last year, Jesse and I took the “Going to the Sun Road” on the bike. Talk about an experience. I hope to watch the sun rise as I cross these mountains tomorrow morning.

So as long as no bears maul me tomorrow, I’ll write about the glaciers and the hike tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment