Monday, July 30, 2012

Day 11, July 29: Mount Rainier


Day 11, July 29: Mount Rainier

Sleeping in, in a real bed, till 9 a.m. this morning was heaven. I realize that going non-stop takes a toll on me physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Staying with Sally last night, enjoying conversation with loved ones, eating a hot, delicious meal, and sleeping in a real bed recharged my batteries. I had been feeling off for the two prior days, and finally, today, I’m back to normal.

I had a lovely breakfast with Sally and Mike this morning, and Mike printed out some information on Mount Rainier for me. Sally had gotten up early and made a big batch of bow-tie pasta, for which she’s famous, and gave me a big portion to take with me. She also sent along way too many of her homemade brownies, but I’ll do my best to take care of them.

I left their house around noon, and headed south, in no big hurry, to Mount Rainier. I decided to take the scenic route instead of the interstate, and I also drove around the long way to my campground so I could see more of the park.

What a good decision. Seeing Mount Rainier up close for the first time is amazing. What a gorgeous mountain. The snow is still heavy on it, and there is snow at the level of the road some too. I drove almost all the way around the mountain and enjoyed the drive immensely. If I were younger, I’d want to climb it. Mountain climbing is something that really intrigues me and seems to call to me, but I’m afraid I’ve missed the boat on that one. To learn to climb when I’m over 50 seems pretty unrealistic. So I’ll just do a lot of great hikes instead.

It’s funny how each mountain range has its own personality and look. Rainier is so different from the Canadian Rockies up in Bamff, but the beauty is just as breathtaking and stunning. I would have never known mountains could have such specific and unique looks. The trees are unique in each area too, and the undergrowth here is much more lush and rich looking. The snow here has a much stronger presence; it’s not just up at the top of the mountain, but it’s an integral part of the experience here down lower.

I drove into camp around 4:30 p.m. and quickly set up my tent and changed into my hiking boots. I had enough daylight to get in a short, three mile hike. I grabbed a shuttle that took me up to Narada Falls, and I hiked back through dense forest. The trail ran along a rushing stream, and there were three beautiful waterfalls along the way. It was all downhill, which was a very nice break from all the climbing I’ve been doing on recent hikes.


I had originally planned on doing the hike to Camp Muir, but after talking to a ranger in Glacier when I was there, and realizing some of my limits, I decided I wasn’t ready for that hike – at least not by myself. It climbs 5000 feet in about four miles, so it’s really more of a climb than a hike, and it goes through permanent snow fields. I don’t have snow equipment, and hiking it alone is not safe, especially if inclement weather would come up. The notes about the trail talk about how a storm can roll in at any time, and in a white out the trail is almost impossible to find. I’m realizing that part of what I’m learning on this journey is to understand and recognize my limits when I come across them. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone, including myself, and knowing that is a relief. I’m also learning to listen to my body, and when it says, “Hey, that’s enough” or “Hey, slow down a little,” I’m hearing it.

My adjusted plan then, after listening to my body and reading the information about the hikes available, has been to hike the short hike I did tonight, which was beautiful, restful, and peaceful, and to hike a more difficult hike tomorrow morning. So I’ve packed my daypack, have my map and GPS handy, set my alarm, and I’ll be taking off around 7:30 for the Skyline Trail – about a four-hour hike that rises 1700 feet in the first three miles or so. It should be challenging but enjoyable, which is just the ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment