Thursday, June 12, 2014

Hunkering down in Flagstaff


June 9 – I found a campground last night about 7:30, and I couldn’t be happier with it. I checked a couple I’d heard about near Mormon Lake, but when I pulled in and was looking at the various sites, the camp host came by. I asked her about cell service, because I noticed I didn’t have any. She suggested a campground a little farther up the road called Canyon Vista. She said it was a nice little campground and it did have cell service – the only one in the area she knew of.

            Now before you judge me for wanting cell service when I’m supposed to be in the wilderness, understand that my favorite place to be is on the edge of the grid – I like the wilderness, but I like being able to stay in contact with my kids and friends. I don’t mind being isolated for a night or two, but I was looking for a good basecamp from which to make a number of hikes. And if I’m spending a number of nights in one place, I want to have the ability to connect – partly so I can let my support people know where I’m hiking each day, and partly because I want to be able to connect in the evening. I’ll have plenty of time with no cell service and no Internet when I’m on the John Muir Trail. I don’t have to do it now.
 
            This morning I headed for the little Country Store about a mile from the campground to wash up, brush my teeth, and get coffee. When I got there, there were about five guys sitting out on the porch of the store, and they all visited with me as I headed in. One was the owner, and he told me they didn’t have any restrooms and pointed out a couple of portapotties. He suggested I head the other way on the road, about four miles from the campground, and find a gas station that could help me. I thanked him and said I’d get my coffee anyway. He showed me the coffee pot in the store and wouldn’t let me pay him for it. We visited for a little bit, he told me where I could buy a shower when I asked, and one of the other guys asked me where in Woodbury County I live. It turns out he was from eastern Iowa. I could have shot the shit with them all day, but I wanted to get started on my day’s activities.

            I ran up to the gas station, which turned out to be right on the edge of Flagstaff. I had no idea I was so close to town – the campground feels very remote. At the gas station, not only did they have a nice clean restroom, but also they had Caffeine Free Diet Coke and crushed ice on the fountain. I felt as if I’d struck gold. I did my business and went back to decide on a hike.
 
            When I pulled in, I noticed a little triangular trailer at a nearby site. I went over and introduced myself to Bill, the camper there, and he showed me this little trailer he had made for very little money. It’s perfect for what I want. I took pictures so I could commission Super-Ex Rick to make it for me. Bill hikes all over, and he’d already completed some good ones in the area. I’m amazed at the number of hikes here in these mountains. And I didn’t know this area was so much cooler and had Ponderosa Pines and old-growth forests. This part of Arizona has been one surprise after another.

            Bill showed me a book he’d bought of area hikes, and told me where the camping store was to pick one up. It’s written by a local, so the hikes are described well with commentary on what to expect. He told me about some of the ones he’s hiked and made some suggestions. After running to town and grabbing the book, I set out on my first hike in the area.

            I hiked a combination of two hikes – Sandys Canyon Trail and Fischer Point. The total mileage was about 7.5 miles round-trip. I climbed down into the canyon, walked the length of it, and then hiked up out of it to Fischer Point and back again. It was a beautiful hike. I walked among the tall Ponderosa Pines, growing from between rocks and cooled lava beds. The hike was steep in places, but not unmanageably so, and the scent of the pine trees was a heady perfume.

            I love being in the pines, and it felt good to stretch my legs. My foot held up nicely with no pain. This was a good test with rocky terrain and plenty of inclines and declines to navigate. The hike I’m doing tomorrow will test it even further, along with testing my trail legs as it’s a little longer and has more ups and downs.

Fischer Point
            After the hike and running to town to do my online tasks, I came back to make dinner and settle down for the night. I didn’t have a big chance to relax – Bill came over with a strong recommendation for my hike tomorrow, which I’m taking, and my next-door campers are two men who came over to introduce themselves, visit for a few minutes, and then invited me over to look through their telescope.

            It was amazing. I saw Saturn with her rings, the red planet Mars, and the moon. I have to say, seeing the moon up close with its craters and shadows was one of the most wonderful sites I’ve seen. Saturn was amazing too – it’s crazy how clearly you can see the rings on that tiny image. We visited for a while longer, and I finally was able to say goodnight and return to my campsite. It’s chilly now, and I’m heading to bed. I’m continually amazed at the unexpected gifts I find on my travels.

            June 10 – Today I hiked the longest hike I’ve done since I injured my foot last year. The hike was an up and back called the Kachina Trail. It started at about 9200 feet elevation and went up and down, up and down between that and 8800. It doesn’t sound like a lot of elevation change, but it was so frequent that by the end I felt every foot up and every foot down.

Lunch break
Ferns? In Arizona? Who knew?
            It was well worth the effort, though. The day was beautiful at around 75 to 85 degrees, with a nice breeze when I hit the open spots on the hike. It included some slight bouldering up and down on the rocky parts of the trail, and I hiked through Ponderosa Pines, across open meadows, and through thick groves of Aspen trees. I sat and had lunch once I hit the final grove of Aspens I had been told about. Sitting there, on the wide white trunk of a fallen Aspen, with just a little breeze blowing, was peaceful and lovely. I decided to turn back at that point – I’d hiked about 4 ¼ miles and decided 8 ½ miles was enough for the day.

            I’m a little discouraged that I’m getting so tired on these 7 ½ to 8 ½ mile hikes. Last year I did some 10 milers before I injured my foot and they didn’t bother me at all. The year before I also did a number of 10 – 11 mile hikes. I keep thinking of the 10 miles a day I intend to average on the JMT, and I’m hoping it’s just a matter of getting acclimated to the higher elevation and building my trail legs. I’m so happy that my foot is not causing me problems, and the all-over soreness I always experience in the first few hours after finishing a hike dissipates by the evening. But this effort I feel the last few miles of these longer hikes has me a little anxious. I suppose it’s really just a matter of training and gutting it out when I’m tired. I’ll say one thing, it always feels so good to finish the hike and take those boots off.




            After the gorgeous, if exhausting, hike, I found Flagstaff’s Aquacenter where I can purchase a day pass for $4.75. I intended to use this only for a shower, and I did this first day, but next time I’m taking my swimsuit and going to soak in the hot tub and maybe swim a little. I’m guessing after my next long, difficult hike it will be like a little slice of heaven. The shower alone was wonderful – no time limit and a private area for dressing.  And they even had big mirrors and outlets to primp a little. The shower I found the day before only had 5 minutes for $3 and no outlets, mirror, or sinks to use afterward.  It’s amazing what I find pleasure in when I’m living out of my car and in my tent.
            I decided I needed a dose of civilized activity, so I went to see the film “Chef” at the local theater. It was a sweet, feel-good film, and I enjoyed it. I might even try to catch another one this week while I’m based here in Flagstaff. I am so worn out by the end of the day, I’m finding I have no trouble going to sleep well before my usual midnight at home.
A couple panorama views of the hike. I love this camera phone


            June 11 – I awoke this morning after the first night of sleeping the entire night through with no excursions to pee and no tossing and turning. My new sleeping bag is amazing – I can zip into it fully and I don’t feel confined. It’s warm and comfy, and I’m glad I spent the money on it. I think I slept so well because I took ibuprofen before going to sleep – I think I’ll do that regularly. My muscle aches don’t wake me up that way. Getting older really stinks in a lot of ways.



            After two long, strenuous hikes, I decided today I would do something shorter and less demanding, giving my legs some time to recover. I drove down to Sedona for the Bell Rock hike I read about in my hiking book. The trip down there was longer than it would have normally been, and not as pretty. The Sedona Fire has just been put out and the main road between Flagstaff and Sedona, which includes amazing switchbacks and jaw-dropping scenery, is still closed. It’s still a nice drive on the interstate, and it is always interesting to see how the landscape changes so much in such a short distance. The pines and tall trees of Flagstaff, at 7000 feet, give way to the scrub, cactus, and mesquite of the 4000 – 5000 feet of Sedona. And of course, Sedona is known for its red rocks. It was around two of the most well-known formations that I was headed.
The Big Tit
            I knew the hike would be busy because of the area’s popularity. I was really pleased to see that I was wrong. I encountered a few people in the first bit of the hike, but once I’d moved beyond the most developed part, I only saw one group of hikers and one of mountain bikers. One of the cyclists asked the route I was taking. I told him the Courthouse Loop, and he suggested I look for the “Big Tit” or “Mother Ship,” a solitary, rounded formation just off the trail. Climbing up to the top of that, he said, would give me a great view and would be worth doing. I love how many wonderful tips I get from random suggestions by strangers. I’ve come to count on those to guide me in so many ways.

            The hike around the back of two formations – Bell Rock and Courthouse Rock – is through a wilderness area, so it’s less developed and a little rougher – just like I enjoy. It was hot, but the breeze was stiff and the scrubby trees offered frequent shade. I did find the tit, and I did climb it. I didn’t go all the way to the top – I didn’t feel comfortable making the last part of the climb without a partner. But getting up part way I was able to find a place to sit, and I took in the panorama. The wind was blowing hard, and I felt free and wild, as if I were alone in the world.
            This back half of the hike reminded me even more why I love hiking in the red desert. I don’t know if Sedona really is home of these spiritual vortexes and if that is what I was feeling, but it isn’t an unfamiliar, this sensing of my place in the universe. I know when I’m out there, beyond a doubt, that I am part of it all, not separate from it. The realization, as I walk along, taking it all in, is “I am that. And that. And that.” These wild rocks and desert terrain erase the illusion of separateness in which we live our lives every day. Come out here. Feel it. I dare you.
            
             I’m sitting writing this in a Laundromat back in Flagstaff, waiting for my clothes to dry. The doors are standing wide open, allowing a nice breeze. I feel at peace and contented. Tomorrow I’ll tackle another tough hike, but tonight, I’m going to relax and maybe explore a little of historic Flagstaff. I’m enjoying having a base camp for a week or so. I’m still doing something new every day, seeing a new vista and trying a new challenge, but its fun to get to know a place a little bit.
The back side of the hike


           

No comments:

Post a Comment