Monday, August 6, 2012

Day 18, August 5: Coming out of the Backcountry


Day 18, August 5: Coming out of the Backcountry

Well I’m finally caught up on the blog. Now to write about today.




Sisters, Jo and Suzanne, and I
We began the day by drying out our soggy campsite and packing up to head back. Everything was wet, and there were a few people who had more problems than others, but most of us were okay. But for a group that never seemed to get going on time, the rain had not helped. But what a glorious morning. I much preferred a sunny day to hike back in than a rainy one.

I emptied out my water-logged tent and packed up after a quick breakfast. I was ready to head back – I like people, but I’m becoming more and more of a recluse in my old age, and I needed to get back to some solitude.

But we had six more miles of group interaction. We hiked this one faster, with very few breaks. The pace was fairly fast, and much of the trail was uphill, especially the first two miles. I had some extreme pain near the end, right in the area you get a hernia, and I was a little worried. Suzanne suggested I unhook my waist belt for a few minutes as it might be gas. It didn’t feel like gas, but once that belt was off, the pain disappeared. I was very relieved it wasn’t a hernia, to say the least.

We got back around 1:30, which was very early for the end of the hike, and I was very happy to be back to the car. Rick suggested we meet for a burger, and Kim invited me to shower at the lodge where she’d secured a room for the night. I did both. It was fabulous.

Some of the trail was marked only with cairns
It is pretty funny how one becomes so accustomed to minimal services. I ordered my food from the little café outside the campground, and when it was ready, carried it out to a picnic table. I joined a couple there, and asked if there was a water spigot close by to wash my hands. They looked at me kind of funny and said, “there’s a restroom right there.” I was so excited! Water AND soap! I washed my hands twice before going back to eat my burger.

I sat there with Rick and we visited with the people who joined us. First a couple from the area and then a family from Florida. All nice people and all interesting. We heard about the couple’s daughter who leads wilderness adventures for women, and we heard about the family’s trip to San Francisco and their hiking a short trail in Yosemite. It was such an enjoyable meal.

I said good-bye to Rick after exchanging information and left to meet up with Kim at the lodge, where took a long, hot shower. It was absolutely fabulous. Being dirty is something I can’t seem to embrace. Clean skin and hair is taken for granted by most of us I think, and it will be a while before I take it for granted again.

Kim and I visited after our showers for a while; we sat on the step of the cabin she’d rented  and she drank a Corona and I ate a Dove ice cream bar. We talked about the man she loved, and how hard it was that he was gone. Today was the six-month anniversary of his death, and they had had plans to do this trip together. We talked of our kids and our lives, and how we learn to go on and thrive after things change for us. We exchanged numbers, and I hope to stay in touch with her.

I came back to camp and reorganized, put up my tent, had a little dinner, built a fire, and have been sitting here catching up with the blog. Henry is puttering around doing his thing, and it’s nice and relaxing. I almost have solitude again.

Real solitude begins again tomorrow as I head out. I’m making a quick drive through the rest of Yosemite, and then I’m heading on to Sequoia National Park. I was going to stay here and hike some more, but I’m antsy to get going and see something new. It’s time to move on. Where, after Sequoia, I don’t know. It’s all a mystery of where I’ll end up next.

No comments:

Post a Comment